Boy, do I now really appreciate what Dorothy was saying in the Wizard of Oz. We had an early start to the day, but I guess it’s no surprise that the boys don’t quite have “jet lag” figured out. They came to get us at 4:00. We finally conceded defeat and got up for good about 4:30. That gave us all 3-4 whole hours of sleep. We kept expecting the boys to nap during the day – today especially, but despite being obviously exhausted, they still did not want to hear anything about sleep. Maybe that means we’ll get a long night tonight…

When Evan first came to the bed to rouse me (which apparently he had to work pretty hard at the first time, because what finally got both of awake was when he hit the mattress), I didn’t remember we were at home until my feet touched the carpet. What a feeling!

We spent the morning exploring the toys around the house, and establishing some house rules. The boys are finally starting to get the idea that there is more to playing than dumping the contents of the toy (and other) shelves on the ground and walking away. Overall, it was a very good morning. We took them out in the back yard for the first time. They still don’t quite get the concept that it’s their yard, and we can go out there whenever we want, but they really enjoyed watching people walk their dogs along the path.

Some neighbors had stocked us up with breakfast and snack items (we have such awesome neighbors), so we were good for the morning, but we had to go run a couple of errands in the afternoon. While we were out, we stopped at Red Robin to satisfy our craving for a hamburger. The boys did great, and really soaked in the atmosphere. Wow, it’s nice to be able to sit down somewhere and order what you want without having to wrack your brains over what might be inside.

Unfortunately, the lunch seemed to do me in. I thought at first I had just reached my brink of exhaustion. After all, I was working on about 6 hours of sleep in the previous 72 hours, but it seems we can add food poisoning to our list of challenges in this little adventure. When I got home, someone in my digestive system ordered a fire sale (everything must go, NOW), so I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening as a useless hunk of mass, while Lara had to take over all responsibility. In the meantime, I’m starting to feel a little better. I finally got a little water to stay down (earlier, I literally threw up 0.5 oz of water 5 minutes after “drinking” it), so hopefully I’ve gotten around the bend and a good night’s sleep will set me straight.

While Chris was down with the bug, Lara was brave enough to take the boys out for a walk around the neighborhood, and introduce the boys to several of the neighbors. She also made some breakthroughs in playtime, teaching the boys how to do puzzles and build things with blocks. She managed to get through the day with a minimal number of tantrums. She got them down for bed with a pretty smooth bedtime routine, and while they didn’t stay down for more than a couple of hours, it was still a triumph to get them in on her own.  It was very trying to deal with two toddlers all alone, but Lara is showing that she’s going to be a very capable mom.

Updated on 10/1 with a few photos. We’re pretty desperate for sleep, so we’re taking the easy way out today…

This Post Has 5 Comments

  1. International travel always is a little difficult on the digestive track. Glad you recovered. At least you were not both hit at the same time 🙂

  2. We have loved reading about your daily adventures and are so glad you are home safe. We are beyond happy for you!!

  3. Just getting a glimpse of what’s going on there, is good enough until you are ready and the time is right for you to make contact in other ways. It’s important you take care of yourselves and the boys right now. We are all fine here! Sending love and strength… Mom

  4. All that travel really wrecks your system, doesn’t it? Sorry you’re not feeling well. Seems to have bounced back and forth, you poor guys.

    I’m so glad the boys are home and you are a family in your house, all together. That’s the best news I’ve heard in ages!

    I can’t wait to see that video of the boys coming home for the first time. How did they like their first hamburger? Are they grasping that this is permanent? I guess that’s a hard concept for them to understand. I hope they get settled in quickly. Can’t wait to come out and take all the cousins to Tiny Town!

    Love to you all.

    Aunt Alana 🙂

  5. Glad to hear there is some (and I use that word lightly!) normalicy happening there for you. Sorry to hear Christopher had some digestive problems. Your bodies are so exhausted as well as mixed up from time changes, diet, different routines, stress, and I could go on and on, that it will probably take awhile to get them “straightened” out. I am thankful, too, for your good neighbors. Thanks for the post.. Love you!!

Leave a Reply

Close Menu